NWS Radar & Severe Weather Statements

List planned Club events, and anything else of possible interest, such as car shows, or swap meets

NWS Radar & Severe Weather Statements

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:48 pm

This is worth checking out occasionally if you plan to cruise or do outdoor activities...
just make sure to click on it to refresh the page

* NOTE: John in RI had an awesome idea that likey saved his car from Hail Damage. If you know there's storms around, Pack a blanket to throw over your car. It'll absorb most of the impact from the Hail instead of your glass, fiberglass, & sheetmetal. It'll be sopping wet after, so pack a trash bag too

National Weather Service Radar:

Albany, NY: http://www.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite ... R&loop=yes

Taunton, MA: http://www.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite ... R&loop=yes

Mt. Washington, NH: http://www.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite ... R&loop=yes

NWS Radio, Webcast by Weatherunderground: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/streamaudio.htm

NWS Daily Risk Outline: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Use these sites to keep ahead of the weather & keep you, your family, & your baby(s) safe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been involved with the National Weather Service Skywarn Program since April 2001.

The "Skywarn Progam" is composed of trained volunteer spotters, amatuer radio operators, emergency services, police, & crazy storm chasers,(like Me), who report field observations in real time to the regional NWS offices. The US Gov't NWS Doppler radar is good, but there's a gap as the radar makes its sweep & it also has limitations in hilly terrains, like New England.
Skywarn helps to shore up the deficiencies the system has, such as detecting low level storm rotation, funnel clouds, Tornado touchdowns/size/damage, wind damage, hail size, & flooding.
The topographical situation of New England makes localized severe weather & tornadic storms occur at a somewhat higher frequency per square mile than what most people realize. The Population Density in the southern half of N.E. makes it that much more of an issue.
Last edited by Brother Al on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Prius, Proof that people will buy Anything, (Baaaa Baaa)
All the Answers to our Problems can be found in the Boneyard!
God Bless America & those who serve & have served our Country!
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am
Car: 1984 Y84 RECARO T/A, WS6, GT4
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Antispam: NO
Production Year: 1984

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Southern New England's topography creates weather conditions like a micro version of the Midwest's infamous "Tornado Alley". Mountains to the West... relatively flat land in the Conn River Plain... Up from the South comes warm, moist, air moving up over ocean water on the Jersey Coast & Long Island Sound... Cool, dry Canadian air coming down from the Northwest.... the basics are the same, much smaller scale.
The New England States avg. about a dozen tornadoes combined each year, with most being rated F0 & F1. The majority occur in Massachusetts, followed by CT, NH, RI, VT, & ME.
In 1950, the NWS began keeping records of severe weather in the US. Since then, there have been just shy of 700 tornadoes recorded here in New England.
On June 9, 1953, a monster F4 smashed through Worcester, Mass, killed 94, injured about 1500, & ranks as one of the costliest tornadoes in US history with inflation corrections. Parts of Bradley International Airport in Windsor Lock, CT were smashed to bits by another F4 on October 3, 1979. In May 1995, an F4 smashed through Great Barrington, MA, killing 3.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:18 pm

From what I have researched is worcester is actually a very odd place for tornadoes. With the hills and everyhing I have been told its very unlikey to happen around here.
Just a little cammed 305.. :)
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Myth: hilly terrain breaks up Tornadic storms. There are numerous accounts of tornadoes smashing up & down hills & mountains. Local example, Great Barrington, Mass is in a deep valley in the Berkshires with the mountains running North to South. The F4 tornado that struck, ripped up & down the 1800+ ft mountains on either side from West to East.
Awhile back, there was a theory put forward in a paper written by a college student who had studied data on tornadoes over mountainous terrain. She stated that the height of land under a tornadic storm only increased the likelyhood of a touchdown & its overall ferocity. If you're into weather stuff, its an interesting read.
All of the numbers I posted can be researched in the NWS data, numerous websites, & some in your local Library.
The reason so many died in Worcester is Bcuz the Taunton office of the NWS was relatively new & had the "It Can't Happen Here" mentality. The office in Albany, NY issued a Tornado Watch & there were several that day in NY. They had no warning, even tho the tornado was over a mile wide at times & travelled from Petersham, Mass, Quabbin's northern tip, all the way to Southboro, Ma. In NH, an F2 touched down, & another F2 just southeast of Worcester near Franklin, Ma. Both of those killed people too.
Statistically, Mass suprisingly holds the #1 spot for deaths per square mile & #12 spot for likely hood of a major US population center getting a direct hit.
Per square mile, the possibility of an F4 or F5 is rare in general. New England avgs. one every 15-20 years or so. We are in that zone. This year, the US is suffering the most tornadic year on record & I'm not sure what the number is at but we have already passed our yearly US avg. for tornadoes & we are just in the begining of June. This only increases our odds.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby S105.7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:37 pm

i seem to remember hearing about a tornado in the Worcester during the early part of the 20th century that picked up rail cars and tossed them quite a distance. how about the fact the New England lies on a major fault line similar to San Andreas. -Jim
1987 S10 Blazer
5.7TPI/700R4

No F-bodies right now.
S105.7
NECF Supporter

Car: S10 Blazer
Engine: L98
Transmission: MD8
Production Year: 1987

Postby Brother Al » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Monday 06/16/08
The NWS has issued a Severe T-Storm WATCH for parts of CT until 9pm:
Litchfield County, Fairfield County, & New Haven County.

Conditions developing in W.Mass will likely cause a Severe T-Storm Watch to be issued for this area soon.
This is a WATCH & means that conditions are favorable for the development of severe weather.

Currently, the cloud cover & cool temps have kept the atmosphere stable over S. New England, however this cloud cover is begining to disapate across the area. As a strong cold front pushes through New York State, clearing skies will greatly increase the atmospheric instability. There is the potential for large severe Storms to develop which may contain Large Hail, Damaging Winds, & a small risk for Tornadoes does exist. There has been 1 tornado in W. New York State & numerous Severe storms are tracking ENE into Northern sections of extreme W. Mass & Vermont. More are developing in New York & tracking towards Conn & Mass.

Stay tuned to local media or National Weather Service radio for updates & take shelter inside a sturdy building immediately should a thunderstorm approach.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Nothing but partially cloudy and chilly here today so far.
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby evil ta » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:45 pm

07 Mazdaspeed 6 - AWD, turbo, 6 speed = fun!
evil ta
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Car: 07' Mazdaspeed 6
Engine: 2.3L Turbo
Transmission: 6 Speed
Production Year: 1992

Postby S105.7 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 pm

as i type this, we are getting dumped on pretty hard. theres a blob of dark red over me in RI. i guess its accurate. -Jim
1987 S10 Blazer
5.7TPI/700R4

No F-bodies right now.
S105.7
NECF Supporter

Postby John in RI » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Here's one that loads pretty quick:

http://www.accuweather.com/radar-local. ... =1&large=1

( I had trouble loading the 2 radar sites you listed Al.... Probably a temp problem )

It's calming down here now Looks like mostly rain for the next hour or 2. My kids got theur first look at Lighting Bolts this year tonight ! They got pretty excited about it !

:mrgreen:
John in RI

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
Car: Mean Green
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:48 am

Thanks John, I fixed those links.

Jim, I'm no Meteorologist nor do I wanna be, but when it comes to Severe Weather, I'm usually not wrong... LOL. Amatuer I'm not.
The mechanics of severe weather are the same everywhere, but there's certain conditions that create a recipe for the nasty stuff here in S. New England. We don't get many of the classic supercell Tornadic storms like the typical ones you'd see out in the Midwest. Rarely will we see an entire storm visibly rotate here. They often don't have lots of hail or lightning, are often hidden from view in heavy rain, & don't stay on the ground for long.. Our stuff is usually caused by squall lines, line storms, or large clusters of storms. Today was sorta one of those days.
We've been really lucky this season, even though we've had 3 potential days so far this season, (where all of the conditions were there for major severe weather), the bits came together at the wrong times.
There was a strong tornado signature near Poughkeepsie, NY & the storm tracked towards Torrington, CT. I dunno much else as the NWS still has to survey any damage still. Hopefully no one was injured or killed. The storm quickly developed from nothing into a supercell & displayed a classic hook echo on radar. As of now there were no confirmed reports of any touchdowns. The other 2 storms w/ strong rotation on radar had Tornado Warnings issued but the only damage reported was from straight line winds.
I setup on a storm near the Northampton, MA area that had been weakly rotating on & off as it tracked through NY state & into Mass, dropping 1/2" to 1" hail & heavy rain. I snapped a few pics of what I believed was a funnel cloud at first & then second guessed it. It did seem to rotate but it was hard to tell with the lightning. It was gone in less than a minute so I never called it in. Another Skywarn spotter I know had set up on the other side of the storm & observed the same thing so we'll be comparing pics soon.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 am

Nothing here but some rain and milt t-storms.

This is some very interesting info though I'm glad you posted Al
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks! I really appeciate it.

I've fixed the radar links & added one.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 pm

If anyone needs more info on anything, just PM me. I've also given several New England Severe Weather powerpoint presentations for large groups & one for a local High School class last year. So for those of you who may be interested, just let me know.

Oh yeah 84 T/A 406, There were 24 recorded tornadoes since 1950 in Worcester County. Unfortunately, the NWS listed them by county until 1994 & often didn't record tornadoes outside of populated areas, but still... these #'s are interesting:
1 F0, 11 F1's, 8 F2's, 3 F3's, 1 F4. Mass has had 153 recorded tornadoes since 1950. That's roughly every city/town in Mass getting hit at least once by a tornado over a 50 year span.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:21 am

Alright well I got woken up not too long ago by a pretty nasty storm and is it just me or do these severe storms seem to be stronger and more viscous than usual? Are they more common as well? It seems to me mother natur is lashing back at us.
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby Brother Al » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 pm

You're dead right. This year has been abnormally high for severe weather. There's been speculation about it being caused by La Nina, (opposite conditions of El Nino), but no recorded data backs up the levels were getting. In late May, we surpassed the average yearly total for tornadoes in the US & recently the worldwide yearly avg. :shock: The extremely dry/fire conditions in the South-Eastern US & much of the Western US has been getting worse over the past 8 years...
G.W. stands for more than Bush.

- Right now our crazy weather here is the result of high pressure air masses that sit just off the eastern seaboard. Usually this causes very Hot, dry, sunny weather. But, there's been a constant train of low pressure storms moving thru the Mississippi River (floods) & up into the Quebec Province. As these two different air masses move very close to each other, its causing the atmosphere over New England to become very unstable. That's why the mornings start off with a mostly blue sky. Once the sun heats up the air a little, boom! clouds & storms develop very fast.
Think about the atmosphere over us as two rivers flowing in opposite directions or where a big river meets the ocean.. we're stuck in the middle of those currents. The water's very choppy, with lots of eddys & big chop. This causes nasty storms to develop with lots of rain.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby John in RI » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 am

Yesterdays T-Storm looked very impressive on the Radar........ It started with a 40-50MPH gust of wind that came out of nowhere & blew everything over. Then it dropped a LOT of hail here and quickly passed by. The sun dissappeared for about 30-45 minutes at the most. It was a very fast moving and intense T-Storm; I through a blanket on top of my Z-28 out of fear the glass tops would get shattered !

The hail was the size of dimes and many were bigger !

John in RI

Postby Brother Al » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am

Blanket! Wicked Smart idea John & Great pic!
EVERYONE: Def. worth packing a blanket in your cars.

I watched them firing up on Radar all day. You, the Cape, & Boston Metro got rocked man.
The Front was forcast to move off shore but stalled right over the Conn River Valley. We got a couple storms here but were much weaker.
A bunch of them developed into small Supercells... suprised the NWS didn't put up a severe weather watch. All their senior people in Taunton, Ma & Oklahoma must be on Vacation...
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 86midnightblue » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm

we got rocked in waltham, ma at work on last friday and on wednesday (i think). this week we got crazy hail and quite a big thunder storm. we didn't get the worst of it though because i drove through some surrounding towns while at work and saw lots of disaster zones. last friday it was like a tornado had come through with trees down and no street lights. no hail but total chaos.

on a side note, whenever we get these heavy rains its always nerve racking at work since we have like 5 million dollars of cars in a basement that floods during these heavy rains. these like 5 cars in the back of the basement that have been flooded many years ago that sit down there and get soaked every few weeks.
86midnightblue
NECF Supporter

Postby BobFitz82 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Its funny as I read this I live just north of worcester and I would say probably since 1999 we've gotten probably a total of 15 mabye more microburst tornados. We get them alot more then alot of people think. But when I talk to my grandparents about the worcester tornado they said it was somthing they've never seen before. They'd rather go through 50,000 more blizzards of 78 before they would go through another tornado like that. I like this interesting stuff.
1988 CAMARO IROC-Z 350ci Crate motor Holley Stealth Ram, WC T-5
2002 Silverado Z71 LT Daily Driver
BobFitz82
2.8 V6

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: WC T-5
Production Year: 1988

Postby Brother Al » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:10 am

Heads Up Everyone!:
Today has a very high potential for lots of Severe Weather but Scattered. We have a strong cold front moving in tonight & there's likely to be at least two or more rounds of storms... Keep your toys under cover! Tonite
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

meteoroligist

Postby wolfdart42 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:34 pm

hey AL i think you missed your calling and you should change occupations and become a meteoroligist. lol
First Name is DAN. Last is WOLF and what I always go by.

1986 camaro- almost there. but fighting me every step of the way.

loose is fast and on the edge of out of control!!!!

You can't fix STUPID, stupid is a condition.
wolfdart42
NECF Supporter

Car: 86 camaro frankenstien
Engine: 305 w/roots blower
Transmission: 700r4
Production Year: 1986

Postby Brother Al » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:42 am

Hahaha, no way Wolf. I'd go crazy, Its way too boring most of the year.
My calling is to own a nice big junkyard so I can play with big Toys, smash stuff, & get really cool rides for next to nothing. Of course all of the good GM stuff'd be kept in a safe place.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby wolfdart42 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:35 pm

mmmmmmh! JUNKYARD. i love walking around my buddies junkyard its where i found my mint interior i have to go take out this weekend. he doesn't have any other 3rd gens thought most of his stuff has been scrapped.

wolfdart42
NECF Supporter

Postby S105.7 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm

man what a ride home today. i was stuck in traffic in E. Greenwich, and it ws as if the world was ending. there were countless lightning strikes within a few hundered yards of me. needless to say my shorts were slightly browned. -Jim
1987 S10 Blazer
5.7TPI/700R4

No F-bodies right now.
S105.7
NECF Supporter

Postby TMZirocZ350 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:17 pm

We had a bad one down here as well. Their were a couple where the bolt and band were at the same time. You could actually hear a sizzle and pop on a few. I was the dumbass standing in my garage watching it :lol:
Todd

89 IROC 5.7L TPI
TMZirocZ350
NECF Supporter

1989 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Production Year: 1989

Postby S105.7 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm

yep...nothing like the sound of boiling atmosphere. -Jim
1987 S10 Blazer
5.7TPI/700R4

No F-bodies right now.
S105.7
NECF Supporter

Postby 84TA406 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Tornado touched down in Barrington RI. And Taunton.
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby Brother Al » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:10 pm

This was some very wicked crazy weather, but I couldn't chase 1 storm :cry:
84T/A406: no tornado in Taunton, Ma someone had bad info... that's the NWS Regional Office.

Tornadoes: 2 touchdowns confirmed.
2 possible others 1 in Maine, 1 in NH
Started over Narragansett Bay in RI as a Waterspout (tornado over water) & tracked east onto land then into Swansea, Mass... there is video of it online. Was rated F0 at first, then upgraded to F1 yesterday.
Second touched down in NH near Concord. It tracked NNE thru several towns. Epsom, NH took it the hardest with 1 death, a bunch of injuries, damage to over 100 homes & numerous trees down. NWS is temp rating it as a low F3 or high F2.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:47 pm

You are correct there wasnt one in taunton. Just the one in the Barrington RI are. Crazy weather though. Some scray sh!t
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby ac1le » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Quick Hijack:....hehee. I can tell you some stories from girls from Barrington!!! CRAZY!?!>!??>!
ac1le
NECF Supporter

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Production Year: 0

Postby Brother Al » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Winter Weather '08 -'09
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Snow Season has begun! :cry:
NY, VT, NH, W. Mass, & ME all got snow last night.
Most places got 4" to 8", some got more. Right now,(almost 1pm), I'm lookin outside & watching flurries mix with rain. Its been on & off sun and showers w/snow all day.
Hard to believe I was cruising Rt. 2 to the Roadhouse with my windows down Sunday.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:22 pm

Damn no snow here!
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby wolfdart42 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:04 pm

none here either

wolfdart42
NECF Supporter

Postby ac1le » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Snow flakes in Enfield and Windsor Locks today. I saw them myself. That or I was having a SERIOUS flashback :lol: :lol:
ac1le
NECF Supporter

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Production Year: 0

Postby Brother Al » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Well, despite the Tornado Watch posted for all of CT, MA, & RI this past Saturday night, no reports outside of some gusty winds.

The same system caused 8 confirmed tornados & several possible others in NC. As it made its way up the US coast, the NWS put up Tornado watches as it went. Very strange weather for mid-November in New England. Conditions were pretty close to perfect, & it really didn't come together until very late in the day.
Warm, stong winds through all levels of the atmosphere, lots of moisture w/a clear dryline just ahead of a very strong cold front... I guess that cold snap we had last week musta left enough residual cool air to break it up as it reached the edge of the Hudson River Valley. About 20 minutes before the squall line crossed the CT River Valley, a rouge storm developed over Hartford & raced north at about 75mph toward the VT/NH border. It was rotating weakly & had the initial hallmarks of a longterm, high velocity Tornadic storm, but thankfully it never was able to organized very well. One of our more "dedicated" Skywarn guys was mobile tracking it & reported some strong variable winds just North of Ludlow. If it was a touchdown, it was brief & very weak.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:56 pm

Well, despite the Tornado Watch posted for all of CT, MA, & RI this past Saturday night, no reports outside of some gusty winds.

The same system caused 8 confirmed tornados & several possible others in NC. As it made its way up the US coast, the NWS put up Tornado watches as it went. Very strange weather for mid-November in New England. Conditions were pretty close to perfect, & it really didn't come together until very late in the day.
Warm, stong winds through all levels of the atmosphere, lots of moisture w/a clear dryline just ahead of a very strong cold front... I guess that cold snap we had last week musta left enough residual cool air to break it up as it reached the edge of the Hudson River Valley. About 20 minutes before the squall line crossed the CT River Valley, a rouge storm developed over Hartford & raced north at about 75mph toward the VT/NH border. It was rotating weakly & had the initial hallmarks of a longterm, high velocity Tornadic storm, but thankfully it never was able to organized very well. One of our more "dedicated" Skywarn guys was mobile tracking it & reported some strong variable winds just North of Ludlow. If it was a touchdown, it was brief & very weak.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby 84TA406 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Yeah when I saw the warning on T.V. I was like isnt it late in the year for this?
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby John in RI » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 pm

My Kids had thier cousins sleepover this weekend. I had a few windows open as I knew that I would not be seeing temps in the 50's again for awhile..... All the kids were freaked out by the doors banging and opening and closing by themselves ! It was kind of fun to tease them a little ! Winds gusted to AT LEAST 40 here, There were a lot of small branches donw in my yard.

John in RI

Re: NWS Radar & Severe Weather Statements

Postby Brother Al » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Well Boys n Girls, its gettin to be that time of year again. Spring has sprung & hopefully there's no more Snow or Ice until next fall. We trade off the crappy sloppy stuff for Warm temps, sunshine, & Severe Weather. It will be coming soon so please do you and your loved ones a favor by paying heed to any Watches or Warnings posted by the National Weather Service.
2008 was a record year for Severe Weather & Tornadic activity in the US. We surpassed the Worldwide Average Tornado count in the US alone.
2008 in New England: we experienced one of the largest # of Severe T-storms reported in a given year, and were treated to numerous Tornado Watches & Warnings.
Oddly, we only had 2 confirmed Tornadoes in New England, 1 in RI/Mass and 1 in NH. In a normal year, New England averages 6-7 . There were 2 unconfirmed touchdowns, a large number of Funnel clouds reported, lots of 1"-2" hail storms (as John in RI & Jim"S105.7" saw firsthand), & dozens of Supercell storms that developed. We really, really got lucky. According to the preliminary data, we may in for a similar year of destructive weather.
As for the Hurricane threat, New England is very overdue statistically for not only one, but a really big one to hit us. I need not say what they can & have done to New England.
I highly encourage everyone to get their homes "Storm Ready." IE prepare an area in your basement as a storm shelter in the event that a Tornado or Hurricane bears down on your area. This is by no means meant as a Doomsday report, but just a precautionary be prepared message.
* Storm Ready:
- flashlight(s)
- bottled water
- batteries
- blanket(s) &/or sleeping bags
- Canned foods
- Can opener
- Battery operated Radio
- First Aide Kit
- Fire extinguisher

If you are reading this & think I'm joking, Google: June 9, 1953 Worcester Tornado. If you think it won't happen to you, you will sorely wish you hadn't if it does.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby John in RI » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:26 pm

hopefully there's no more Snow or Ice until next fall.

Yaaaaaa Baby !!!!

John in RI

Postby 84TA406 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 am

Brother Al wrote:
If you are reading this & think I'm joking, Google: June 9, 1953 Worcester Tornado. If you think it won't happen to you, you will sorely wish you hadn't if it does.

My dad has the Newspaper from the next day and looking at the pictures its like WOW!
84TA406
LC2 (Turbo 6)

Postby Brother Al » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:34 pm

It has begun!
A line of strong Thunderstorms rolled across New England last night. A particularly severe storm bore down on South-Western CT, (Pete's area). That Storm Cell exhibited some weak rotation, nickel size hail, & winds over 60mph. In Agawam, Mass, I had pea sized hail falling at my place for about 2 minutes.
Looks like more Severe Weather may occur later this week.
Goodtimes!

For Anyone interested, I will be having my New England Severe Weather presentation in:
Agawam, Mass on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 @ 7pm. Appr. 40 minutes, w/ refreshments & Q&A session to follow.
Free to all, children welcome.
For more details PM or Call me.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Fri May 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Just a heads up everyone.
There is an increasing likelyhood of scattered Strong to Severe Thunderstorms this afternoon. The periodic areas of sunshine are increasing the temps more than expected, thus making the atmosphere more unstable over Southern New England. Some areas may experience some strong gusty winds & hail, so keep an eye to the skies.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Sat May 09, 2009 10:52 am

OK, yesterday wasnt too bad here, Today there is a higher risk for Severe Weather to break out. Right now the heavy cloud cover over most of New England has temps sitting in the 60's. If it stays overcast, we likely won't see too much in the way of severe shoot. The risk area is primarily S.VT, W.Mass, & W.CT.
If that sun breaks through for more than a few hours, a few very big storms will begin to pop & you should expect very rough weather to roll thru. As I've said in the past, your local TV Weatherfool :doh: probably has no idea.
...NY/MA/VT/NH...
A COMPACT UPPER TROUGH IS CURRENTLY MOVING ACROSS LOWER MI...AND
WILL BEGIN TO AFFECT NY AND NEW ENGLAND BY EARLY AFTERNOON.
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE LIKELY TO INTENSIFY IN THIS REGION AS
COMBINATION OF DAYTIME HEATING AND SURFACE DEWPOINTS IN THE 50S
YIELD MLCAPE VALUES OF 500-1000 J/KG. FAST-MOVING STORMS CAPABLE OF
DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL WILL SPREAD FROM CENTRAL/EASTERN NY INTO
CENTRAL NEW ENGLAND BY LATE AFTERNOON. ISOLATED SUPERCELLS WILL
ALSO BE POSSIBLE DUE TO FAVORABLE LOW LEVEL AND DEEP LAYER VERTICAL
SHEAR...WITH A RISK OF A TORNADO OR TWO.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Mon May 11, 2009 12:30 am

K, it happened allthough both fairly weak.
1.) An EF0 Tornado touched down in Sunderland, Mass. Destroyed a couple barns & silos.
2.) An EF1 Tornado touched down in Washington, VT also destroyed some barns.
GO READ FIRST POST!
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:19 pm

515PM Tornado WARNING HEBRON, CT AREA!!!!
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:22 pm

That's the next town over from me. Saw nothing here... skies didn't look like much except heavy rain.. I am watching closely due to the hail threat. :(
1991 Z28 - project rebirth
1988 IROC - Dustus Collectus
Jay
Admin

1988 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Production Year: 1988

Postby Brother Al » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am

Today July 17, 2009
There is a Moderate risk of Severe Weather beaking out over most of New England today. Large hail & 70+mph wind gusts are probable in any strong to severe storm.
Tomorrow there is a High Risk for Severe Weather to break out over across New England. There will be a slight potential for Supercells/ Tornadic storms to develop as well. I will update this as needed...
NOTE!
* Pack a thicker blanket to throw over your car & tuck the edges under your hood & hatch to minimize hail damage to your Toy(s).
All credit for this idea to John in RI
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Postby Brother Al » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 pm

OK, looks like the Hartford Metro/Western CT and Western Mass are gonna get whacked over the next few hours with some Severe Storms. Pete, you look like you've got some heavy stuff coming your way.
Brother Al
Admin

1984 Pontiac Trans Am

Next

Return to Events