Anyone have to deal with insurance claims?

Anyone have to deal with insurance claims?

Postby RaGiN Z » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:52 am

My truck got hit in the parking lot of work and the adjuster came out and took a look at it and gave me a quote. I noticed 2 things after the fact, of course...

1. can I call the adjuster and say, hey you missed a couple things?
2. They quoted the body shop at $27 per hour, that seems a bit low considering I can't get it in to a mechanic for less than $80 per hour. thoughts?
z28 rips make equal length posi strips

- yet another co-owner of the not so infamous Blackhawk
RaGiN Z
LC2 (Turbo 6)

1983 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: z28
Engine: blown 383
Transmission: tko600
Antispam: NO
Production Year: 1983

Re: Anyone have to deal with insurance claims?

Postby John in RI » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:38 am

** I would inform them of any damage not-addressed/quoted in their repair estimates,... RIGHT AWAY !!

Insurance policies are very different from 1 insurer to another. I don't KNOW the answers but here is my 2-cents: If you cash the check they send you - that's almost certainly all the $$ you will ever see.

If it's NOT going to get fixed then all you will ever get is what the adjuster appraises the damage to be. If it IS going to get fixed then get it fixed anywhere you want, then send the shops bill directly to the insurance co. Probably a good idea to provide them with your own shop estimates in advance. ( Get as many repair estimates as possible and send them the 3-4 highest quotes. )

John in RI

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
Car: Mean Green
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Production Year: 1984

Postby 86CamaroDan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Call them asap if they missed stuff, dont ever cash a check untill your happy and got it back. Body shops are significantly lower in their hourly - But even we get low balled (Being a mechanic) they usually pay 45-60 a hour for EXACT. They usually have to come out a couple times and write supliments for additional damage/work needed after initial disassembly. Huge pain in the ass, especially if the car is immobile.
GM 350 HO Short block, Blue Print 195's, Comp 985 springs, NX276HR-13, Comp 1.52 RR's, Vortech V3 Blower, HSR, Kirban FPR, 60# injectors, Megasquirt 2, Walbro 255, Ceramic Headman LT's, Flowmaster 3" w/ 20 series, 2 core Becool Raditator, HD Cooling Fans, Built T56, Stage 2 clutch, B&M Short Throw, LS1 Front brakes, Disc brake 9 bolt w/ 3.42's, Spohn SFC's, LS1 Brakes, KYB AGX Shocks and Struts, F&R Spohn Swaybars
86CamaroDan
NECF Supporter

Postby camaro430sut » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:41 pm

The insurance company will not listen to what you have to say regarding damage they may have missed. Reason being, you are not a body shop or am appraiser. You're best course of action at this point to to get it to the shop that will be doing the repair. That shop will disassemble the damaged area and write a new repair order on it. Once they do that the appraiser will come back out aND reach an agreed price with this shop to do the repairs. This is called a supplement. A second check will be issued direct to the body shop.

If you're looking to just take the money and run unfortunately you're about stuck where you're at. It'll be tough to find a shop to supplement it for you, then give you the money. They'd want a cut plus you'd have to cover the tax on the repair.

The labor rate should be closer to 65/hr in CT. A lot of companies write for way less, especially if they're coming to you or you go to one of their DRP driverthrus. Again, best course of action is getting it to a shop. And avoid any shop they insurance company trys to sway you towards. It's illegal in CT for them to attempt to push you to use their shop. They do this because it will cost them less money in the long run, hence your 27/hr labor rate.

Also, in CT, if you are the claimant, meaning the other persons insurance is paying, they are required by law to provide you with a rental equal to your vehicle for the duration of the repair. If its not safely driveable they have to provide rental from date of loss. If you have another vehicle to drive then the insurance company will cut you a check in the amount it would have cost them to put you in a rental. This is called rental reimbursement, but they won't tell you this.

Lastly, do not get it fixed for more than the original estimate without the insurance companys approval. If you pay money out of pocket hoping to recoup it from them later, sorry but you're out of luck. They need to see actual eyes on the damaged areas before they'll pay out.
2005 Pontiac GTO
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
2008 Mini Cooper S JCW
2014 Seadoo Wake PRO 215
2016 Scarab 195 HO Impulse
camaro430sut
NECF Supporter

Postby RaGiN Z » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks guys, I called the insurance company and they said that the body shop will have to call them with any additional damage. I also called the appraisal company and they came back out and fixed the issue. They said they would resubmit and even if the insurance company cut me a check they would have to cut another. My truck is a bit worn so I'm doing some extra work with this money. 2014 Silverado 2500 hd hood, bumper, and grille, aftermarket headlights and going to have all the problem areas painted.

I don't intend on having the work done until the spring and have everything except the hood and fender. Found some killer deals on Craigslist.
z28 rips make equal length posi strips

- yet another co-owner of the not so infamous Blackhawk
RaGiN Z
LC2 (Turbo 6)

1983 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: z28
Engine: blown 383
Transmission: tko600
Production Year: 1983

Return to Paint and Body