1988 Iroc Project - LOTS OF PICS

Got a Project? Post it Here!

Re: 1988 Iroc Project - LOTS OF PICS

Postby camaro1185 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 am

WARNING: HUGE 4 YEAR UPDATE…VERY LONG

I have not been keeping up with the updates for this tread since the last post so I will try to bring you up to speed for the last 4 years.
It looks like I left off after installing the T56, so I will start there.

2013 Season:

After installing the T56, I got 1 season of driving (about 4600 miles) before the clutch was totally shot and slipping bad. Yeah you are reading this right my brand new 500 dollar 500hp clutch behind my bone stock L98 was slipping like crazy.

After installing the clutch and on the first let out of the clutch backing it out of the garage, slipping sound and clutch smell. I immediately called Ram clutches and they assured me that this was normal for a "race" clutch and that it should go away in the 1000 mile break in. I was extremely diligent and broke the clutch in for 1000 mile exactly as they said on the paperwork. Long story short, the clutch disk was under sized and when driving the clutch was never in a state of full engagement, meaning the clutch was slipping every drive for almost 5000 miles.

I decided to purchase a factory brank Luk clutch for the car and when I removed the Ram clutch I checked all the measurements and found out the clutch disk was undersized thickness wise. I wrote a huge email documenting all to Ram and they refunded all my money. This season marks the 3rd season with the Luk clutch. I couldn’t be happier; it has a stock pedal feel and I do not have the slipping sound/smell anymore.

Here is a video of the slipping sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6U50DJZZU

2014-2015 Seasons:

Not much to talk about, fixed the rear intake oil leak and installed a set of Hooker 2055 headers. I was disappointed that with headers, the car did not seem any louder. After that, just enjoyed the car and went to a lot of cruise nights.

2016 Season:
Early in the spring we went out for a Sunday cruse, it was running excellent. Before we ended our cruise, I hit the gas station. Leaving the gas station the car decided to die right as I was about to merge into traffic, for a second I thought it was something I did, I got it to fire up but only would stay running for a second. At this point I was in traffic on the Berlin turnpike. Luckily there was a parking lot about 20 feet away, so I hopped out and had Kim steer as I pushed it to the parking lot to work on it. After doing this and that to get it to run, the car would not stay running long enough for me to get it the 1.5 Miles we were from the house and each restart got harder and harder. I broke down and called AAA. Had the car towed 1.5 miles to the house and once it was off the truck, I tried to start it again, and it ran like a champ.
Knowing this problem was heat related, first thing I tried was the Ignition control module. I pulled it out and brought it to Advance to have it tested. It tested fine. I put it back in but still the car would die once it got hot. After some more checking I figured it had to be the IGN module and replaced it even though the old one tested fine. I bought a new one and sure enough the car was back up to running great even when hot.
When the car broke down, it was 1 month before my wedding. The plan was to drive away from the wedding in the Iroc. Luckily, I’m glad to say the car made it to and from the wedding without a hitch.

From the persuasion from my buzzed groomsmen, I even left a little rubber as we drove away!!!

Couple Wedding pics:
Heres a video, shot in 2 different angles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNrq8TKokFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6umdQTnWw

2017 Season:

Well, it seems like every winter I do a decent sized project on the Camaro to get it closer to completely restored.

Quick story, last year we were at my local town car show and when they were giving out awards they mentioned an Iroc had won, however it was not mine. My wife had gotten very excited for a second thinking we had won, but when she realized it was not us, she told me the only thing preventing us from winning was my interior. She told me that the interior must be done regardless of what it costs and it needs to be done before I do any performance upgrades/engine swaps. She wants to win at least something this year. So, I decided to go all out and purchase the interior parts needed to bring the car to "show quality".

While waiting for my order from classic industries, Ecklers, 1A Auto and Amazon to show up I decided to do a test piece of dying interior plastics.

Cracked and unusable sill panel scuffed with 400 grit and painted 2 light coats with trim black.

My order from Classic and 1A auto:
New floor mats with the formed passenger side:

As for seats, I may go with aftermarket Corrbeaus or something but for the time being, I will be installing factory seat covers. When I bought the car, I got a new seat bottom and seat back for the DS seat, which is the only side with ripped bolsters. I bought some hog ring pliers and hog rings and will give it a go as to installing the fabric. I’ll probably steam clean them too. If it looks bad, Ill just spend the money on new seats.

Not pictured is also DynaMat that will be installed to hopefully cut down on the tin can sound. I also hope it cuts down on the interior heat in the summer. While the Camaro has working ac, I don't like to use it much as I prefer driving with the windows down!!

Well this weekend I got started on what I thought was going to be the 2 worse parts of this interior re-do, recovering the seats, and pulling the pedal set for the 3rd time to install the new steel bushings.

Drivers side seat OLD:
Drivers side seat NEW:

Here are the clutch and brake bushings that were machined for me.

To show just how bad the slop was in my pedals, here is a before video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpV2NenQFBY

After Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOaTCs0EZ4
1988 Iroc-z - 350TPI/T56/Exhaust/Gears/Big Brakes/Suspension
2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z (G92)
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Antispam: NO
Production Year: 1988

Postby TMZirocZ350 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:17 am

Great update! I am due for one of these as well once I actually work on the car.

Congrats on the wedding again.

Car looks great. It's great when it all starts coming together.
Todd

89 IROC 5.7L TPI
TMZirocZ350
NECF Supporter

1989 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Production Year: 1989

Postby John in RI » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 am

Having seats without any rips is a HUGE thing,....... An Interior can be in GREAT shape otherwise, but if there is a rip in the seat somewhere it's like a huge magnate for any eyes that try to look past it. Fixing that seat is going to make a BIG difference in the way you - and everyone else that sees it - feels about you ride.

P.S. Abuse that painted door sill a little bit before you spray any good pieces. I do NOT recommend paint / dye for long term results. Those pieces usually look great for awhile,..... but they do not tend to take any kind of "abuse" too well over time and end up looking bad (IMO) as time passes because the paint/dye wears and gets scratched off. ( Any/every scratch will show the color underneath the dye/paint ) If you have good condition interior panels the best thing you can do for them is soak-coat them in Armor All.

John in RI

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
Car: Mean Green
Engine: LT1
Production Year: 1984

Postby camaro1185 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:11 am

John in RI wrote:Having seats without any rips is a HUGE thing,....... An Interior can be in GREAT shape otherwise, but if there is a rip in the seat somewhere it's like a huge magnate for any eyes that try to look past it. Fixing that seat is going to make a BIG difference in the way you - and everyone else that sees it - feels about you ride.

P.S. Abuse that painted door sill a little bit before you spray any good pieces. I do NOT recommend paint / dye for long term results. Those pieces usually look great for awhile,..... but they do not tend to take any kind of "abuse" too well over time and end up looking bad (IMO) as time passes because the paint/dye wears and gets scratched off. ( Any/every scratch will show the color underneath the dye/paint ) If you have good condition interior panels the best thing you can do for them is soak-coat them in Armor All.

Well that sure would save me a ton of time not painting things....will the armor all give me a greasy feeling?
2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

Postby John in RI » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 am

Did you 'abuse' that door sill a little ?? how did the finish hold up ??

will the armor all give me a greasy feeling?

Na,..... Not really. It will remain kinda' "wet" for awhile after the first heavy application, but that's really what you want to happen. Now is the best time to coat the interior panels in a nice heavy coat IMO. That way while the car isn't getting used much the Armor-All will have some time to sit on / absorb into the plastic. It's basically the same a coating Leather with a Leather protector,..... it WILL leave a residue, but in my experience it's the BEST way to protect the color and the texture of the original plastic panels.

John in RI

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
Car: Mean Green
Engine: LT1
Production Year: 1984

Postby camaro1185 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 am

John in RI wrote:Did you 'abuse' that door sill a little ?? how did the finish hold up ??

The sill after paint I tried scratching it with my finger and a screwdriver just to see how well it was holding up. My fingernail no scratches and very little with the screwdriver obviously.
2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

Postby camaro1185 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:20 am

Tiny update. I have gutted the entire interior in preparation for Dynamat and the new carpet, I was very pleased to see a virtually rust free New England 3rd gen floor!!!

2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

Postby GPSkinzhut » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:39 pm

That's gonna be pretty with all the new stuff in there Matty...
GPSkinzhut
Admin

1987 Chevrolet Camaro
Car: 1987 IROC-Z T's / 305TPI / G92
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: T5
Production Year: 1987

Postby camaro1185 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:44 pm

GPSkinzhut wrote:That's gonna be pretty with all the new stuff in there Matty...

Yes sir!

Update, the dynamat is finished, the new carpet is laid in, now I have to cut and fit it to the car. I will update with pictures when I get home.

Funny thing is that, the carpet didnt look that bad to me while in the car, other than a small spot that had a stain on it. I was worried the new carpet would not make the interior "pop". However, when I got the new carpet in yesterday, it makes you realize just how bad the old carpet was.

Cant wait to finish and drive it!
2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

Postby camaro1185 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

As promised, here are some pics from the last week of my interior redo:

Bare floor, couple spots of rust that practically rubbed off by finger, I did scuff and paint it before putting the dynamat down!

1988 Original Carpet Removed:

Dynamat installed!

Carpet laid in:

Started cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting etc:

I used bricks to keep the carpet from moving as I smoothed and measured before making the first couple cuts. It was very nerve wracking cutting the first holes, but they came out great!

I just had to throw my new floor mats in to see how they would look! I'm very happy with the result so far!

Lastly, here is my dog who is always out when i'm working on the car....he does not seem too impressed.
2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

Postby frapjap » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 am

Nice!

It looks like you live in the Gran Torino neighborhood.
frapjap
NECF Supporter

Car: 1999 Trans Am Convertible
Production Year: 1989

Postby camaro1185 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am

frapjap wrote:Nice!

It looks like you live in the Gran Torino neighborhood.

Cause the garage is detached in the back? If yes then your are right, its been a while since Ive seen that movie.
2014 Subaru WRX Limited
camaro1185
NECF Supporter

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

Previous

Return to Projects